Repeat Recipes: Garlic Basil Miso Beef
Inspired by a dish I used to order at my favorite restaurant in the world, Sakura House.
- 2 Steaks (approximately 1lb or 1/2kg combined)
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 TB of Miso Paste
- Pat the steaks dry.
- Chop into small cubes; big enough to sit on the skewer with some heft, but also small enough to be covered by a basil leaf.
- Mix pulverized garlic and miso paste together and then toss the steak cubes into the bowl until they are covered in a light coating.
- Get your mise en place ready to make some skewers. Take 1 piece of steak, wrap with 1 basil leaf, and skewer. The number you put on the skewer should be determined mainly by the width of the heating element you are going to be cooking over – remember also to leave enough room so that you can turn them by hand.
- If you haven’t yet with the whole steaks, let the skewers approach room temperature before you throw them on the grill. If not cooking right away, cover lightly and keep in the fridge, but remember to take them out 20-30min before you cook.
- With all the prep work completed, toss them on the grill and crack open a beer (optional); when they start to look like they’re done, either do a finger test or grab a skewer with the largest chunk and cut open a bit to make sure it’s cooked through to your desired doneness. Serve/eat immediately (and throw the next batch on while you’re chewing).
This is my go-to miso - smells & tastes amazing (and ships from amazon).